Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Our crazy Puerto Rico trip...

So, we had quite the weekend last weekend. We had a destination wedding in Puerto Rico to shoot that we've been looking forward to for a year. Puerto Rico especially holds a special place in our hearts since Jerry & I were both engaged and married there. The wedding was Saturday June 18-- ceremony starting at 5pm. My original flight left on Friday at 6am, getting me to Puerto Rico at noon. We were planning on spending some time with our good friend Marimar, and also having some time on the beach and relaxing hopefully before heading home Sunday night at 11pm.

Here is how the weekend went down:

Friday morning... plane scheduled to leave at 6AM.

We arrive at airport at 4:35am. Line for checking bags is out the door. We stand in line. At 5:20,we are still in line. They do a last call for our plane. We run up to the front, boarding passes in hand, we just need to check our bags. The lady is like "ok no problem..." Baggage guys wont' take them, says its too late. Are you freaking kidding me?!!! I am crying at this point... this is not a vacation it is for WORK. a WEDDING. We are there, on time!!! We can get on the freaking plane. They say there is nothing they can do and will get us on the next flight.

We are pissed. I'm balling. United knows they screwed up and gives us a full refund because they say there are NO FLIGHTS from any airline that could get us to Puerto Rico that day. I get on my iphone and find a flight on Delta leaving at noon. I walk over to the Delta counter and buy the tickets. NO problem. Fine, relief for now.

NOON: We board flight. Should arrive in Puerto Rico at 6pm.

12:45..sitting on runway...pilot comes on and says the brake system is broken. They have to fix it--delay.

1:45--still delayed. We rebook ourselves on the later connecting flight in Atlanta...hoping to still get there.

4pm--still in Indy. I'm freaking out again. We try to get on another flight out of Indy. There is nothing the rest of the day.

5:30--still in Indy. Rebook for flight on Saturday at 6am. Will get to PR at noon. Wedding is at 5pm. They give us hotel vouchers and $100 in Delta dollars.

8pm- we eat dinner at the hotel at the airport.

10pm--try to sleep, so anxious.

3AM--awake. shower, dress for wedding. head to airport by 3:45.

4AM- check-in, bags checked.

6AM-on plane, ready to depart. It starts raining and lightning. DELAY. No I'm not freaking kidding.

7AM- take off. Our connection in Atlanta leaves at 8:20.

8:10AM- arrive in Atlanta.

We SPRINT through airport. I'm talking SPRINT. I am probably not supposed to run so fast pregnant. Anyway, we are running across the biggest ass airport in the US.

8:19-- get to gate. The have locked the doors. Won't let us on :(:(:( I am SCREWED!!!! I am balling AGAIN. I throw up.

The next flight out is at 9:50. It would get us to PR at 1:30. After that the next flight isn't until 2:30 and it would be too late. The 9:50 flight is completely full. The put us on standby at #1, they feel bad for us after everything we've been through. I am sobbing. I call my bride, she is sobbing. I don't know what to do.

9:50. There is a GOD. 7 people don't make the flight.WE get on the plane on standby. THANK YOU JESUS!!!

1:30--arrive in Puerto Rico. Marimar picks us up, snacks in car. First time I've seen her in 2 years and this was the only hour I saw her the whole trip :( I didn't even get to meet her baby boy!!!

3pm--arrive at resort, run to salon. I get there just in time to see the bride getting her veil in. The wedding is beautiful and perfect.

We decide to try to extend our trip a day because of everything. Yesterday morning we call Delta at 6am to ask. We are on hold for 1 hour, talk to someone, explain everything, asking to get out on Monday instead. They tell us it will cost us $400. OMFG. They won't waive it. So we have to leave for the airport by 11am. Less than 24 hours later. :( :(

On the way to the airport, I get on my phone on twitter and tag Delta about my unhappiness that they wouldn't extend our trip for free after everything. I get a response in 2 minutes, offering to extend it. Not kidding. It's too late though--we are almost to the airport. I am so bummed. Why didn't I think to get on twitter earlier???? I ended up getting more vouchers out of it-- so now we have $200 in vouchers. Not sure when/if we'll use them but at least I got something. So frustrating.

10pm Sunday--home.


So that was the weekend. Seriously, what????


In BETTER NEWS..... I think I felt my first few baby flutters!!! I know it sounds crazy early, but I am pretty certain that is what it was :) Can't wait for them to pick up :)

I leave you with a few photos from PR:

Photobucket

Photobucket

And me at 12 weeks pregnant and definitely showing!

Photobucket

Photobucket

And one of me and Jerry together....
Photobucket

3 comments:

  1. That SUCKS. :( Use those vouchers to go back to PR not on business this time! It just sucks that you have to fly United/Delta again to use them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, what a nightmare and yet, I am so happy that you did not fall while running or went into pre-term labor during your hectic weekend. Maybe your baby tried to gently communicate: "Hey Mommy, don't forget about me...slow down...just a tiny bit :)"
    I am happy that you guys made it in time for the wedding and that you made it back -- safely. I think you deserve another ice-cold lemonade. Cheers!!! :)

    Britta

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my lord! I don't blame you for the tears OR the vomiting! We had our car break down one time before Kenton had to DJ and you DO panic! I can't imagine the whole "it's out of our hands" aspect to your journey, though! You can't MAKE flights leave at a certain time or make the planes work properly. I cannot believe that you didn't even spend 24 hours there. WHAT a bummer!!!!!

    ReplyDelete