Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Working out during Pregnancy

I get asked about this all the time so I decided to write a blog post about it. Yes, I continue to exercise during pregnancy. Yes, I continue to do the same things I do when I'm not pregnant. Yes,I take down my intensity level and listen to my body. Yes, it helps you bounce back quicker post-partum. I will make the statement that moderate exercise is perfectly healthy and recommended throughout pregnancy as long as you don't have a high risk pregnancy. If you have any bleeding or pain, please discontinue and consult your doctor.

When I was pregnant with Bella, I had a very healthy pregnancy. I worked out 4-5 day a week the entire time and was even on the elliptical the day before my water broke :) She was a very healthy full term baby and I was wearing my pre-pregnancy jeans 2 months after she was born. No, I didn't do any crazy crash dieting after I had her. The combination of keeping healthy while I was pregnant, as well as breastfeeding and eating well (although I ate ALOT.. I had never been as hungry in my entire life as I was when I was breastfeeding) post-partum helped the bouncing back quickly.

Now here is what my workout schedule looks like these days. I aim for 4-5 days of workouts a week. We do belong to the local YMCA so that allows me to bring Bella so I can get my workout in. However, I do tend to do a cardio workout at home 1-2 days a week because I don't like taking her to the child care more than 3 days a week (germs).

2 days a week--Live Turbokick classes (60 minutes in length)
. Turbokick is the live class version of Turbojam, for those that have heard of it. It is high impact and a mixture of kickboxing, dance and martial arts. The music pumps you up, the full classes get you excited and let me tell you-- you SWEAT in this class! I generally burn anywhere from 300-500 calories in a live class. I love love love Turbokick. By far, my favorite form of cardio. The time flies when you are having fun :)

2-3 days a week--Weight training (30 minutes)
. At least 2 days a week I make time for weight training. I do all the same exercises I do not pregnant. I try to do a full body routine since I often only make it 2 days a week and I am focusing on maintenance instead of muscle building at the moment. That means I try to 2 exercises focusing on legs, 1 for chest, 1 for back, 1 for biceps, 1 for triceps and then an abdominal series. 2-3 sets of 10-20 reps depending on the day.

1 day week- Spinning Class (45 minutes). Spinning is another great cardio workout. It is also really easy to modify when you are pregnant.

1 day week- Jog on treadmill or Elliptical cardio workout (35-45 minutes).
Usually the days I do weight workouts, I either do spinning or hop on a machine for a jog or an elliptical workout. I enjoy running 3-5 miles when not pregnant, and I want to be able to still do it. Yes, if you run pre-pregnancy it is safe to continue running during pregnancy. I do watch my heart rate and do have to keep my speed slower than usual. My usual speed not pregnant is an average of 6.7mph on the treadmill and during pregnancy my average speed is about 5.7mph... so yes much slower. But I still cover 3 miles in just about 30 minutes.

1 day a week-- At home Turbokick or Turbojam workout (50 minutes)
. Usually once a week I choose to do a video at home. Same as live class but not nearly as much fun or as intense ... but it is a time saver and convenient. Bella likes to do these with me :)

Things to remember while working out when pregnant:

1. Make sure you can TALK during your workout. If you can sing, you aren't working hard enough. If you can't tell your neighbor hello without panting, you are working too hard and need to step back.

2. Heart rate monitors are AMAZING. They are amazing not pregnant too-- but even more helpful when pregnant. I keep my heart rate below 150 if I can when pregnant. Sometimes it bumps up a little during Turbo, but if it stays up there longer than a few seconds, I back off. Your baby needs oxygen and you also want to make sure you don't get overheated.

3. WATER. Drink drink drink.

4. Don't get overheated. Super important. If its 90 degrees outside, it's not a good day for you to go for a walk or a jog.

5. Listen to your body. If you are having any cramping or bleeding..please stop and talk to your doctor. If you are feeling exhausted, it's okay to take a day off. Remember that nourishment is most important to your growing baby.

6. Remember that you are working out for health and maintenance NOT to lose weight while pregnant.

7. Eat well. When you are pregnant and in you 2nd and 3rd trimesters, you do need to consume more calories, working out or not. Add exercise into the mix, and you need to eat more. However, make the calories count;) But make sure you eat!

8. Ab Exercises-- Yes you can continue to do them. Doctors used to say not to lay flat on your back after 12 weeks, however, this has changed lately. If you start to feel faint or dizzy, get up. I still do ab work on the stability ball, bosu and bench while pregnant. Pilates and Yoga are also wonderful.

9. Stretch.

10. Swimming and walking are both WONDERFUL exercises for pregnant women. Low impact, safe and comfortable.


I hope this helps someone else :) Now I'm off to the gym this morning!

3 comments:

  1. Great post, Mandy! I totally agree. I was so thankful that I was able to and continued to work out while pregnant. It is so important that women who know better speak up about this - especially when books like "The Girlfriend's Guide to Pregnancy" actually tell women "Don't bother working out, you'll get fat either way." It's insane to me that someone would even say that, with all the time-and-again proven benefits of exercising during pregnancy. You're a wonderful example of what a healthy lifestyle during pregnancy can do - keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know I agree with everything you say here! It's so frustrating that people think they can't workout because they are pregnant.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! You should be an instructor Mandy! You sound very motivated and in great shape. Keep up the good work. I envy you.

    ReplyDelete